By 1880, Little Current, or “Petite Current” as it was known by the voyageurs, was well recognized as the “Gateway Port” to the Manitoulin Island and a critical stop-over point for refueling and re-supplying water traffic on the Great Lakes.
To this day, the Little Current waterfront has been the life-blood of the community and the key to its economic success. The rich marine history of Little Current has continued to present day where the 560 meters of town docks continue to host hundreds of boats (both power and sail) every year.
In 1998, the Town of Little Current amalgamated with the Township of Howland, McGregor Bay and Bay of Islands areas to form the municipality that we now know as the Town of Northeastern Manitoulin and the Islands.
The Town of NEMI employs approximately 24 full-time, 8 seasonal and part-time, and up to 15 summer students in the administration and provision of services to the community. The Chief Administrative Officer is responsible for all day-to-day operations and reports directly to the Mayor and eight Councillors. Administrative services are provided from the Main Office at 14 Water Street East (Post Office Building) in the Town of Little Current.
Public works operates out of two separate locations, one in Little Current and the other in the Hamlet of Sheguiandah. In addition, Community Services function out of the Recreation Centre that is located at 9001 Highway 6, just south of Little Current.